Performs the daily patient follow-up on outstanding patient balances. Receives patient inquiries on statements received for the services provided by EVMS Health Services Clinical Providers.
• Work past due accounts through the IDX system’s PCS (paperless collection system) work file. These work files are established by the Supervisor and are assigned specific criteria (generally by age in A/R) and prioritized for the PAR to work.
• Contact patients and handle patient walk-ins to discuss their account status and determine appropriate payment arrangements.
• Obtain financial interviews from patients to determine financial need and ability to pay.
• Contact the Clinical Departments when patients are disputing charges to determine if the charges are appropriate or how the unit wants the accounts handled.
• Refer sensitive collection issues and difficult patient concerns to the Senior PAR or Supervisor in a timely fashion.
• Mail requested itemized manual statements, when applicable.
• Coordinate the exchange of patient and insurance information with the clinical departments, Health Services departments and hospitals, where applicable.
• Ensure that collection letters are sent to the guarantor of the account when payments are not made within 90 days (three statements).
• Use the IDX PCS tickler system to follow through on the patient’s promised payment.
• Handle all patient correspondence in a timely manner.
• Update patient registration.
• Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma and one-year experience in healthcare billing required. Experience in ICD-9/CPT coding is required. Customer service oriented individual is required.