The Science Writer will generate and edit content that promotes CONRAD’s global health research and development portfolio and mission. S/he will work 50% of the time supporting the grants development and fundraising function and 50% supporting reporting and dissemination requirements of existing grants and agreements. The SW will review and provide editorial guidance of technical research strategies, and will assist in drafting technical content. S/he will support the grant development team in developing concept papers and grant strategy outlines through literature searches, analysis, and writing. S/he will also be in charge of creating and maintaining a reference library for grant submissions. In support of active projects, the SW will assist in the preparation of Clinical Study Reports (CSRs), manuscripts, funders’ reports, Investigational New Drug (IND) applications packages, and regulatory reports and dossiers. S/he will also help devise creative ways to communicate the scientific and humanitarian dimensions of CONRAD’s work to multiple audiences through scientific and news articles, briefing documents, website updates and op-eds. The SW must be able to highlight the work done by scientists at CONRAD that meet a high standard for storytelling, reporting and scientific accuracy. Through this effort and by providing editorial guidance to CONRAD scientists, the SW will help CONRAD to improve the quality and expediency of grant, clinical, and regulatory reports and manuscripts, as well as the quality, effectiveness and impact of communications with external stakeholders, elevating the organization’s reporting compliance, social image and presence.
Candidates being considered for the position will be asked for writing samples.
This position will be located in Hampton Roads or in Northern Virginia based on the selected candidate. Salary range is based on position located in Hampton Roads and will be adjusted if located in Northern Virginia.
• Assist in writing research strategy for grant applications
• Assist in writing and submitting manuscripts and grant related reports
• Assist in writing clinical study reports
• Help in writing regulatory reports and dossiers
• Help developing communication strategy for complex research projects to help improve grant submission effectiveness
• Conduct literature searches to support research strategy development
• Provide editorial guidance to CONRAD scientists
• Assist in researching new topics for funding opportunities
• Assist in writing/designing brochures and slide decks promoting CONRAD products and services
• Maintain and insert bibliography in Endnotes
• Translate technical information into content accessible to multiple audiences
• Write scientific and news articles, briefings, web-site updates and op-eds
• Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required; Master’s or advanced degree preferred. Biomedical Science or Science Journalism/Communications degree desired. Three years of experience in a public, private, or governmental science or health organization; familiarity with a range of genres. Experience to include grant writing, copying, editing and/or proofreading manuscripts/documents, and reporting technical science information. Experience writing clinical study reports is preferred. Experience in science or technical writing for the public desired. Experience with graphic design, working knowledge of pharmaceutical product development, and experience with Office 365 and SharePoint is desired.