The Business Development Manager is responsible for implementation and promotion of CONRAD’s business development strategy through seeking and securing external investments and fundraising through specialized services. Working closely with CONRAD leadership and technical experts, the BDM provides guidance and management of CONRAD’s business portfolio (i.e., products and services). The BDM implements CONRAD’s business plan and marketing strategy of global health products and services. The BDM will foster both new and existing strategic alliances, partnerships and ventures that support CONRAD’s overall strategic vision, objectives, and fundraising strategy. The BDM will attract non-grant investments on CONRAD developed products, and will promote CONRAD’s unique R&D capabilities, in particular within the private sector. The role of the BDM includes providing leadership in negotiating external commercial relationships with contractors engaged in CONRAD sponsored research and development activities. The BDM will provide the Vice Dean of Research with status reports and updates on initiatives. The position directly reports to CONRAD Executive Director, with a secondary line of reporting to the EVMS Vice Dean of Research. This position will be located in Northern Virginia.
• Seek and secure external investment (non-grant) opportunities on CONRAD’s product development and services portfolio
• Work with CONRAD leadership and technical experts to create business plans and marketing/promotional materials for CONRAD R&D technologies and services
• Develop and maintain broad relationships with potential partnering companies on a global basis
• Provide advice and counsel to CONRAD leadership on opportunities to engage industry participation
• Assist in the design and development, and oversee implementation and management, of strategic alliances, ventures and collaborations with partner organizations at global, regional or national level
• Negotiate and close confidentiality agreements, teaming agreements, letters of intent, memorandums of understanding and contractual agreements for non-grant based relationships
• Promote specialized consulting and CRO-type service activities
• Develop and promote specific donation/fundraising campaigns
• Maintain extensive market intelligence as it relates to strategic alliances, licensing and product acquisitions (both private and public sector activities)
• Support protection of intellectual property & negotiation of royalties
• Liaise with EVMS Office of Technology Transfer
• Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in a biomedical, pharmaceutical or public health field with business experience required; MBA with science or pharmaceutical development background preferred. Five years of experience in business development and fundraising in academic or small business/company settings required.
Knowledge of the global pharmaceutical marketplace and business development preferred. Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and generate collaborations with pharmaceutical and biotech companies preferred. Experience with intellectual property management preferred.
Knowledge of technology transfer (in both industry and university settings) and product development preferably within the pharmaceutical (or other regulated) industry preferred. Successful track record of having negotiated and closed business transactions with both small and large companies preferred.